Chopped mushrooms, when sautéed, blend seamlessly with ground meats. Swapping or adding mushrooms to a recipe can add an extra serving of vegetables to the plate.
8 ounces white button mushrooms
8 ounces cremini mushrooms
1/4 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 can 8oz no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 whole-wheat buns
1. Chop mushrooms to approximate size and texture of cooked ground beef.
2. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
3. Add ground beef and mushrooms, and cook.
4. Sauté until ground beef is done.
5. Remove mushroom-beef mixture from pan.
6. Add onions and garlic to pan; cook until golden.
7. Return mushroom-beef mixture to pan, along with remaining ingredients.
8. Simmer about 10 minutes; remove from heat.